I had made a hat similar to this (just using backpost double crochet, that's about all that is similar), but I just did not like it. It was too short and no matter how many alterations/additions/changes I made to the pattern, it pissed me off. I won't tell you what pattern it is, because I'm sure someone worked very hard on it. Badmouthing specific people seems mean.
I did really like the idea of the spiral though, but I figured I could make it the way I wanted. I asked if people on tumblr wanted the pattern. They said yes. Well, here it is. :)
Ch - chain
dc - double crochet
bpdc - backpost double crochet
bptr - backpost triple crochet
fpdc - front post double crochet
sl st - slip stitch
** repeat what it is inside asterisks*
I used one skein of Bamboo Ewe by Debbie Stoller, but really any worsted weight yarn will do.
I used an H hook!
Note: You will probably want to keep a stitch marker as to where you end, as this is crochet in the round!
1. Magic circle, or ch 4 and dc 12. Pull tight. (12)
2. bpdc increase around. (24)
3. *bpdc in next stitch, bpdc increase* (36)
4. *bpdc in next two stiches, bpdc increase* (48)
5. *bpdc in next three stitches, bpdc increase* (60)
6. *bpdc in next four stitches, bpdc increase* (72)
7. *bpdc in next five stitches, bpdc increase* (84)
This is as far as I usually increase for my hats. My head is approximately 21 inches around. If your head is larger, feel free to do another round of *bpdc in next six stitches, bpdc increase* but it is not necessary.
8. From here on, continue your hat, but rather than crocheting in bpdc, continue with bptr. Crochet around until hits the top of your ears.
9. When it hits the top of your ears, make your way to the back (should've had your stitch marker there!) and sl st into the hat.
10. Ch 3, then *fpdc, bpdc* around and join.
11. Repeat step 10 until you have three rows of ridges, or until satisfied with length of hat.
View of the hat from the top.
I realize these directions might be shaky/not definite enough, so let me know if there are any errors.
I can also crochet this hat for you if you do not know how. Contact me via email by firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to make a request via my shop! It is not currently in there, but feel free to look through there. I have lots of other neat stuff for sale. :D
I also have a blog that posts my most recent project, so if you like what I've posted and want to see what's new (and/or request a pattern), follow me here!
And last but not least, you can fan me on Facebook.
This pattern is a Ramen Needles original and it would be nice if you would be so kind as to not sell the pattern. Feel free to sell finished products, but please (pretty please) credit the pattern to me. It makes me sad when it happens, and if it happens too much, maybe I'll start selling patterns instead, you know? Or you could really awesome and click the donate button on the right side on my blog to support me in my crochet pattern endeavors! ;D